Facts about Mercury
- MERCURY is the second densest planet in our solar system.
- Mercury is the smallest planet in our solar system. It is slightly larger than Luna, the Earth’s moon.
- Mercury has no moons or rings.
- Being closest to the sun mercury is not the hottest planet in our solar system. It is Venus.
- The Caloris Basin is the largest crater on the surface of Mercury.
- Mercury observes intense changes in day and night temperature. During day temperature can rise up to 430 degree Celsius while during night temperature of the planets surface goes around -170 degree Celsius.
- The surface of the planet is wrinkled due to the condensation and contraction of iron ore on the planet.
- Mercury has molten core. The mass of the planet is just 5 and a half percent that of Earth.
- Mercury has just 38% the gravity of Earth which means that the weight on Mercury will be just 38 % of the weight on Earth.
- A day on the surface of Mercury lasts 176 Earth days.
- A year on Mercury takes 88 Earth days.
- From earth, Mercury can only be seen easily during twilight.
- Sun’s light reaches the surface of mercury in 3.2 minutes.
- Other Details- Radius: 2,440 km
Surface area: 74.80 million km²
Orbital distance: 57.91 million km
Orbital period: 87.97 days
Gravity: 3.70 m/s²